IV Line Forearm Protection – IV Safety Cuff
I.V. Line Forearm Support Platform – Providing Forearm Protection from Infections, Tape Allergies & Skin Tears
Price – $5.99/12 Safety Cuffs
Problem: We are quite confident that the conventional practice of securing an intravenous line “safety or release loop” with adhesive tape to the bare forearm is not a good idea. This common and every day oversight of applying an adhesive backed tape directly onto the forearm skin, usually results in some type of tape allergy, skin tearing, shearing or (if you are lucky) only painful hair removal. Please refer to the graphic example on the left to see a picture of what can go wrong when tape is applied directly to a patients fragile or sensitive skin.
Solution: The I.V. Safety Cuff® Intravenous Line Support Platform for Adults and Children, designed and patented by Progressive Doctor’s founder
David Dixon, MD. Safety Cuff is a practical, low cost, field tested answer to a hugely ignored, under-reported and very costly problem.
VIDEO – I.V. Safety Cuff Use & Application
“Skin Tears, Tape Allergies, Infections and other injuries as a result of I.V. Lines taped to forearm skin are now 100% preventable with the I.V. Safety Cuff.”
Dr. David Dixon, MD – Inventor
- ELIMINATES Allergic Tape Reactions or Sensitivities – no tape is used to secure the I.V. Safety Cuff platform to the fragile or sensitive skin forearm skin. Instead, the Safety Cuff’s wings/arms are held together using a 24mm 3M Double Sided Adhesive Tape Dot that never touches the patients skin.
- ELIMINATES Risk of Skin Tears – no tape on the forearm should ever need to contact the skin when using the Safety Cuff. Skin Tears from I.V. line tape on the forearms are 100% iatrogenic and 100% preventable!
- ELIMINATES Painful Tape Removal. Again, no tape touches the skin when using the I.V. Safety Cuff, so the risk is completely eliminated.
- ELIMINATES Tissue Maceration or Tissue Deterioration from lack of oxygen from a confining tape or rolled gauze. The forearm skin is allowed to breath.
- Greatly Reduces Tugging and Pulling (pistoning) on Needle at Point of Insertion: The I.V. Safety Cuff provides a “platform” that allows the excess I.V. line to “float” above the forearm, giving continuous slack to the line.
- Provides Patient Increased Range of Motion During Pronation and Supination of the hand – allowing for greater range of motion, peace of mind and comfort.
- Reduces Overall Chance of Infection – intact skin is less likely to become infected by various skin borne pathogens like MRSA or Strep.
The I.V. Safety Cuff should be considered Standard of Care and used on every patient, every time an I.V. is placed on a upper extremity. The inexpensive, disposable Cuff should be replaced every 3-5 days or as needed.
Unfortunate Skin Tear Facts:
1. Malone and colleagues estimate at least 1.5 million skin tears from tape removal occur each year in institutionalized elderly care alone. This does not include everyone else in hospitals, hospices or clinics; plus the fact that this is greatly under-reported, the numbers are certainly much, much higher.
2. Individual facilities have reported skin tear prevalence rates ranging from 14-24%. (Theses numbers alone lead one to speculate the numbers are far greater than what’s reported.)
3. Skin Tears are obviously very painful – it hurts to have your skin ripped off.
4. Skin Tears may lead to serious cases of infection like MRSA.
5. Skin Tears increase caregiver time and facility costs.
Until now, no one has offered an industry standard to prevent this from happening.
Question – You have to wonder why?!?
Answer – A lot of these injuries or allergies are a result of being on a Med-Surg floor, in an ER or Dialysis Center where much of this tape is placed; however, later on, it is not removed by those who originally placed it. Removal comes later – on the “floor” or at discharge, where most skin tears occur. The tape placer and the tape remover are rarely the same. Finally, the issue of whether or not simple tape will injure someone, is usually lost on the more critical reason(s) why someone is seeking medical attention in the first place (i.e. cardiac arrest, diabetic crisis, etc.).
MATERIALS / CONTENT
Safety Cuff Platform:
Made from PP (Polypropylene).
A Hypo Allergenic, Water Resistant Non-Woven Fabric.
PP Non-woven fabrics are engineered fabrics that may have a limited life (as a single-use fabric) or they may be a very durable fabric. Non-woven fabrics provide specific functions such as absorbency, liquid repellency, resilience, stretch, softness, strength, flame retardancy, washability, cushioning, filtering, bacterial barrier, package protection and sterility.
These properties are often combined to create fabrics suited for specific jobs, while achieving a good balance between product use-life and cost. They can mimic the appearance, texture and strength of a woven fabric and can be as bulky as the thickest padding. In combination with other materials they provide a spectrum of products with diverse properties, and are used alone or as components of apparel, home furnishings, health care, engineering, industrial, agriculture and consumer goods.
3M 1600T Adhesive Dot:
Double Sided PE Foam Tape / white. Hypo Allergenic. Water Resistant.
PE/EVA/High density PE foam based, pressure sensitive adhesive, single and both sides, covering with release paper and plastic film. High adhesive, excellent performance for vibration, good weather and chemical resistance, etc. Good isolation and vibration buffering.
The I.V. Safety Cuff is easy to use and its benefits: value, appreciation and kindness are priceless.
Distributors, Wholesalers & Licensees Welcome
U.S. And International Utility / Method / Design Patents Issued & Pending
Safety Cuff is a USPTO Registered Trademark